Diploma, Master and Bachelor theses
The ))start-up-phase(( serves as introduction in the thesis' topic. Thus, it is necessary
to get an oversight of the topic's area and context. For this purpose an independent in-depth literature research is necessary, too, which could be started from the given introductory literature. However, the research should not stuck on the topic's surface and the bibliography should be expanded with topic-specific articles.
During the literature review the topic has to be delimitated and distinguished from other theses. The workload for the thesis should neither be too extensive nor too meager, so that later complications can be excluded.
If the implementation is necessary inside a specific system environment, so the induction into this environment shall be executed in the ))start-up-phase((.
The ))start-up-phase(( ends with the comparative contrast of different solutions, by means of which the aims of the thesis can be achieved. Result of this comparison shall be the founded selection of the intended method of solution. In the ))start-up-phase(( gained findings and drafted aims shall be documented in an about 4 to 8 sided paper, the proposal, and presented in a 20-minute talk at the research colloquium (see hints for presentation: i10 presentation guidelines).
Goals of the ))start-up-phase(( are:
- Motivation of the scientific questioning in the context of the thesis
- Development of the concrete working goals on the basis of the literature research
- Distinction of the own thesis to other thesises
- Comparison of different alternatives of solutions and the reason for the chosen solution
- Further scheduling
In the processing phase the selected solution will be developed, implemented and integrated into the context of the area's projects. It is important to ensure that results and planning decisions are recorded and, thus, the thesis is step by step being developed. Important is on the one hand, that the code, developed during implementation, is meaningful and adequate documented. This also includes the respresentation of an overview of the whole architecture, e.g. in UML. Quotes and results from other papers have to be clearly highlighted as such ones.
It is advisable to create a raw structuring as soon as possible, which you adjust during the research and at the beginning a possible way already suggests. Thereby the thesis should be structured so that first of all the theoretical papers, the delimitation of the own thesis and the reasons of the made decision will be presented. Following ther should be the modeling and the refinement of the solution concept. Finally, its implementation should be described with the reasons of central design decisions. A thesis should be rounded off with a final part concluding the thesis and giving possible extensions and outlooks. Thereby it should necessarily referred to the initial part, especially to the questioning of the thesis.
A typical structuring consists of, e.g., following chapters
- Motivation / problem definition / context of the thesis
- task formmulation
- state of art, alternvative solution methods
- ... presentation of the solution (modelling, draft of central aspects, ...)
- ... documentation of the implementation decisions
- Outlook / extensions
If the processing phase is completed, the results of the thesis should once more be presented and discussed by an about 30 minute talk in the graduate seminar (presentation guidelines). In the final phase there should also be time for the final cut of the thesis, so that a good, balance thesis could be emitted.
Additional informations on the bachelor thesis
Additional informations on bachelor theses you can find on the according websites of the computer science department and inside the module manual.
Registration of the bachelor thesis
- Get the registration form for the bachelor thesis at the Zentrale Prüfungsamt or here.
- The student filled out the form and let her-/himself affirm by the Zentrale Prüfungsamt, that the student qualifies the benefits of the bachelor thesis. Requirements for the regsitration of the bachelor thesis is the achievement of at least 114 Credits (aberrant from §16 sec. 3 BPO: Decision of the bachelor's audit committee on 21.01.2009).
- The student agrees with the accessor of the thesis the topic of the bachelor thesis.
- The assessor enters the topic in German or in English and forwards the form to the chairman of the computer sience bachelor's audit committee. The chairman sets the date of awarding, on which the four month processing phase starts, informs the student as well as the Zentrale Prüfungsamt and sends the form to the Zentrale Prüfungsamt back.
- An extension of the processing period can only be granted with an medical certificate, act of God or reasons, which are rooted in topic and is not the fault of the candidate and has to be requested in the Zentrale Prüfungsamt. The processing phase can be extended by according reasons at most about four weeks (see §16 sec. 7 BPO).
- The thesis has to be timely submitted in thirdfold draft in the Zentrale Prüfungsamt (one copy for the assessor, one for the second assessor and one for the archive of computer sience department). The ZPA confirms the submission of the thesis. The bachelor's thesis and the form then go to the assessors. After entering the ratings the assessors lead the form together with the written report to the ZPA.
Created by System Administrator. Last Modification: Tuesday, 25. October 2011 17:59:31 by .