The use of OER can revolutionize the educational system, or maybe not? Lubna Ali elaborates on this question in her Lightning Talk.
Crucial for this is the quality of OER. The topic of quality assessment and assurance is one of the biggest challenges in the field of "OER in schools". But who can or should rate the quality? What and how can be evaluated? These questions are taken up by Lubna Ali, research assistant in the MINT-L-OER-amt project at the RWTH Aachen University, in her Lightning Talk and she tries to answer them using the model developed in the project.
This video is part of a series of Lightning Talks recorded at the OER Forum during the 2017 OER Festival. The OER Festival #OERde17 took place on the 28th and 29th of November 2017 in Berlin. The videos were designed by the agency J & K, Jöran und Konsorten.
This text was translated from German to English by René Röpke. It is licensed under CC BY 4.0-Lizenz and was written by Gabi Fahrenkrog for OERinfo – Informationsstelle OER (Source: open-educational-resources.de).
The aimsLukas Netz
The aim of MINT-L-OER-amt is to integrate the concept of Open Educational Resources (OER) into the STEM education and training programs at the RWTH Aachen University. This is accomplished by qualifying and supporting certain target groups to create, edit and utilize OER Materials for teaching purposes. The target groups are: Lecturers and students of the STEM didactics at RWTH, current school teachers in the region and later on other lecturers and STEM field students of RWTH. The above-mentioned groups are to be qualified gradually supported by the center of excellence at RWTH (MINT-L⁴@RWTH). All materials used within the qualification program will be available also as OER.
We have finished year 2017 successfully by being nominated for the OER award under the category “OER über OER”. This category was under the umbrella of the German Commission for UNESCO. The nomination was awarded both digitally and with a handmade price.
Within the frame of the project, the following materials (only in German) were produced for the workshops:
- Presentation "MINT-L-OER-amt" (pdf, pptx, odp [follows soon]) (in German)
- Handout "OER-Portale im Überblick" (pdf, docx, odt) (in German)
- Handout "Bearbeitung von OERs" (pdf, docx, odt) (in German)
- Handout "Linkliste rund um OER" (pdf, docx, odt) (in German)
- Worksheet "Bearbeitung von OERs" (pdf, docx, odt) und "OER-Portale entdecken" (pdf, docx, odt) (in German)
- Question cards "OER und Creative Commons Lizenzen" (pdf, pptx, odp) (in German)
- Combination cards "OER Materialien" (pdf, pptx, odp) (in German) and "CC Lizenzen" (pdf, pptx, odp) (in German)
- Project flyer "MINT-L-OER-amt" (pdf) (in German)
The following lectures, workshops and meetings were held:
- Project presentation during the conference “eQualification” in February 2017 in Berlin (in German)
- Workshop for lecturers of the STEM didactics at RWTH Aachen on 25th April 2017 (in German)
- Workshop around the topic "OER-Einsatz in der Schule - Eine Frage der Qualität" at OER Camp in Cologne on 13th May 2017 (in German)
- Solo talk about the project at the OER-Fachforum as part of the OER-Festival 2017 in Berlin on 29th November 2017 (in German)
- Seminar contribution for the students of mathematics didactics at RWTH Aachen on 2nd December 2017 (in German)
- Workshop around the topic OER for the students in teacher training programs at RWTH Aachen on 14th December 2017 (in German)
Networking with other BFBM funded projects regarding OER:
- Skype call with Constanze Reder and Matthias Andrasch from OERlabs at the University of Cologne and at the Technical University of Kaiserslautern
- Skype call with Bettina Waffner from MainstreamingOER at the University of Duisburg-Essen
The next step is to qualify and support other students of STEM didactics at RWTH in addition to school teachers in the region for producing and utilizing OER. During the upcoming workshops, the concept of OER will be further integrated into the STEM education and training programs at RWTH Aachen University.
We are planning to offer the following workshops and to participate in the following events:
- Presentation of the project progress at "Bilanzierungsworkshop OERinfo" in Frankfurt on 22nd March 2018
- Workshop around the topic OER for the scientific staff of machine technology didactics at RWTH Aachen on 4th April 2018
- Workshop around the topic OER for master students of mathematics didactics at RWTH Aachen on 23rd April 2018
- Keynote speech around the project in the didactics forum of the RWTH Aachen on 24th April 2018
- Seminar contribution around the topic "University goes OER" at the information and networking event in Ulm on 3rd and 4th May 2018
- Workshop around the topic OER for master students of technical didactics in machine technology vocational program at RWTH Aachen on 7th May 2018
- Workshop around the topic OER for teachers in the region of Aachen on 9th May 2018 SIGN UP HERE
- Workshop around the topic OER for bachelor students of mathematics didactics at RWTH Aachen on 11th May 2018